Tuesday, August 26, 2008

WFMW: Homemade Pedialyte


I've spent the last 10 days with sick kids. It started with Avery and spiraled and swirled and shuffled through the whole passel o'young'uns. Finally, in a crecendo of bodily fluids it hit Aidan and Evan right smack dab in the tummy in my van and in the parking lot of Shopko. Ahem. As I was saying. I bought pedialyte. I figured that there was a homemade version out there, but in the state I was in I was in no state to try to find it myself! So, to my loyal WFMW readers, here it is:

Homemade Pedialyte

1 quart sterile water
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
You can flavor with kool-aid powder, though I think I'd just add a splash of apple or white grape juice to the individual cup.

That is all. Water, sugar, salt and baking soda. You've probably got all those ingredients in your cupboard and can whip up a batch of this to keep your sick little ones hydrated for pennies instead of paying $4-$6 or more for the store bought stuff.

(This is not intended to be medical advice, if your mommy instinct tells you to take your baby in to the doctor, please listen!)

Shannon's been on break from blogging, but is back this week for Works For Me Wednesday! Click on over there for LOTS of more great practical ideas like this one!

(Oh, and if you're here for the first time, welcome! Sorry I don't have everything nicely organized on the sidebar, you know how it is with the kids and all. Feel free to snoop through the archives though! And if you know how to organize all that, let me know!)

6 comments:

Crayl said...

I wish I had this recipe three weeks ago. :( But I will keep it for future use.:)
The link is fixed, thanks for telling me! It's the bottom one, even though my template cut it off a little. I am still mastering all of this.

Kama said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am due in 5 weeks and have saved this recipe for future use!

Anonymous said...

And spewed! You forgot to say spewed!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving the tip. WFM! Will pass this post along to my sis who would love the recipe.

Anonymous said...

My child's doctor told me to mix 1 part liquid gatorade and 1 part water to have an equalivent to pedialyte. It taste much better than the real thing!!!

Anonymous said...

The problem with Gatorade is the extremely high sugar content. Bad for athletes because they sugar crash.