Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday



I thought of this post actually two weeks ago, but with getting ready to move and all I forgot to post it last week! What works for me this week is making lunch ahead. I know many people make their kids' lunches the night before (and if you don't you totally should, it takes a ton of pressure off the morning!). I take it a step further and more nutty. Three weeks ago my favorite bread was on sale. I bought three loaves and made 32 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, put them in individual baggies and then back into the bread bag. Evan (and Jim) can now just whip out a sandwich, throw it in his lunch box, scrounge for sides and he's done! And the best part? I don't have to clean up a jelly mess every morning from where he made his own sandwich!

You might ask, "how lazy are you? It only takes five minutes to make a sandwich for heaven's sake!" Yes, it doesn't take long to make a sandwich. But, it only took me thirty minutes to make and clean up from making thirty-two sandwiches. Even if you're really fast I highly doubt you can do it in under a minute!

One thing to note if you're going to do PBJs ahead of time. You do have to spread the PB on both slices of bread so the J doesn't soak into the bread as it freezes and thaws. I used crunchy on one slice and then a really thin layer of creamy on the other slice, just enough to cover it.

You can also do meat and cheese and have the same results! Try ham and cheese on a bun, wrap it in foil and freeze it. Let them thaw for a few minutes, then pop them in the oven for a hot ham and cheese for dinner one night!

Works For Me!

8 comments:

John and Lisa said...

Great thinking1 My mom used to do this for us all the time growing up! (We homeschool so we don't have the morning rush out the door, but I might do this for those days we are on the run!) Thanks.

Lana said...

That is a super idea!

Thanks for the comment!

Jim said...

I just love the frozen PB&J thing. It's taken a lot of stress off our mornings to know that we have frozen sandwiches just waiting for our enjoyment.

By the way, DW, we're out.

Alesha said...

I do this too, it makes packing three lunches in the morning so much easier.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I don't have kids, so I'm always amazed at the clever ideas geared towards kids. I just stood in front of the fridge for a good 5 minutes trying to find a quick snack - I would have totally LOVED to have a PB&J in the freezer. I'm going to do that tonight. Maybe not 30 - but 5 would be good.

Come by my place today to see how you can Cruise through the Holidays, in my WFMW.
Have a Great Day!
Kristin

MediMonsters said...

Great tips!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't done this in a very long time! Thanks for the reminder! We like crunchy peanut butter but it was always too much. (maybe why we stopped?) I like the idea of creamy on one side, that's a definite improvement. Thanks again!

Anthonette said...

I love this idea! My 5-year old loves PB&J. His favorite break is called California Black Bread (from Costco). It's 100% whole wheat and "heavy". I'm amazed he loves it. I don't think it could every get soggy from jelly, like lighter breads.